As a rule, when I go to conferences and trade shows, I try to plan ahead.
I make appointments and reach out to specific individuals in hopes of meeting for the first time, re-connecting from previous relationships or engagements, see old friends, and meet people just because I follow them on Facebook, Twitter or through a person's blog.
- met an Indie Artist whose music I am going to check out on iTunes
- met a very successful software entrepreneur who recognized my name, and told me what a fan he was of one my YouTube video that I recently did on a Fender Amp I had purchased.
- hung out with my buddies from San Antonio's Web 2.0 community which I will be covering tomorrow for my San Antonio Startups Blog
- met people that I follow, and whose persona came to life in meeting them in person
- and had people come up to me who recognized my face or read my badge as they follow me on various social networks.
Sure, there's still a bit of dust to settle from the fallout of this economic malaise, but just you watch: with all this positive energy abound, I sense an economic and creative revitalization of our country, and our world at large, in the making.
Yup, it's brewing and bubbling here in Austin, Texas - during SXSW.