I met Bryan Person several months ago, and continue to follow his blog and his presence on Twitter.
As a PR person and as I blogger, I pitch bloggers and get pitched by other PR pros who approach me about possible coverage for my 3Screens blog.
Bryan has a great post about a recent presentation he gave on blogger outreach.
Some of Bryan's suggestions include:
- Identify your goals for the campaign/program before you start pitching.
- Build relationships with bloggers well before you pitch them (when practical).
- Research bloggers before you pitch them; that includes reading their blogs!
- Personalize your pitch.
- Offer the bloggers something of value for them and their readers, and not just for your clients.
I also have a few basic rules of engagement, including:
- Give the blogger a central repository in which to find content about what you are pitching. It might be your press room, or your own blog where you have press releases and social media content like YouTube videos.
- Think in the vein of pitching a journalist by offering an exclusive to the blogger.
- Provide the blogger with suggested links of where you want to send his / her readers to.